United Methodist Women June Newsletter
June is here and with it the official beginning of Summer. The Spring weather has been so unpredictable, I wonder what the summer weather will be like.
Last month Martha, Carol and I attended the 2018 UMW Assembly, The Power of Bold, held in Columbus, OH. We had a wonderful time. Martha drove us there, including through a heavy downpour of rain and in city traffic. The music was beautiful (6000 voices), speakers were interesting, the classes were informative, and the plastic ware was compostable. We had the special treat of getting to see Bishop Tracy Malone, who had served in our church for her very first assignment. We look forward to sharing our experiences with you, possibly as a program for the Circles.
Also last month we sent $676 to Church World Service for purchasing large, heavy weight blankets for those in need of shelter or warmth.
Sampler Day, for learning about the new studies, will be held July 21st at Gary Wheaton UMC. I encourage you to go, especially since it is so close. Please let Martha know before July 8th if you would like to attend. Let’s get a car full!
Be sure to mark your calendar for Thursday, Sept 6th for our Unit Meeting, Salad Bowl Luncheon at noon. There will be a speaker about UMCOR and all the people who are helped by this organization.
JOYS AND CONCERNS: We share Jody Baldyga’s joy that her daughter Kathy graduated first in her Nursing class. Special prayers are asked for Carol Wixson with the passing of her niece Sarah Wilkin and with her sister Marilyn’s cancer return.
Peace, Hope and Love in Action,
Monday, July 9th – – Rachel Circle Potluck at June Jensen’s
Saturday, July 21st – – Sampler Day at Gary Wheaton UMC
Thursday, August 23rd – – Mission Team Meeting – – 9:30 am in Bethany Room
Thursday, Sept. 6th – – Salad Bowl Luncheon – – noon in Parlor
- We will meet at June Jensen’s home for a pot luck dinner.
- Meet in the church parking lot at 5:15 pm to car pool to June’s in LaGrange.
- June will provide beverages and dessert.
- Bring a dish to pass.
- No meeting
- We will meet at my house (2260 S Grace, #203) to make small pincushions to sell at the Christmas Mart on November 3rd.
- If you have extra pins, bring them along to put into the jars.
- Terry will be the hostess.
- Be there at 6:30 pm.
- Carol Reiman will present the program.
- We need someone to act as hostess (i.e. bring dessert). If you are willing to take this on, please let me know.
- Meet in the church parlor at 6:30 pm.
- We have NO hostess or program for our November12 meeting. If no one signs up (calls me or emails me), we will just chat and do our dieting thing.
- On Friday, November 2, we will be setting up for the Christmas Mart. Be there by 9:00 am. We usually finish by noon.
- Saturday, November 3rd is our annual Christmas Mart. Sign up sheets will be available in October (so I expect).
- Sunday, December 2 is our annual Advent pot luck. Details later.
- Monday, December 10th is our own, private, intimate pot luck. Carol Reiman will serve as hostess AND provide our program.
- We don’t have a location yet, so if no one else cares to open their home, I’ll be glad to have all of you here.
Methodist Women Pillow Ministry
Every few months, ladies, teens, and some young men gather to make pillows!
Plan to join us for our next Pillow Day – APRIL 14th!
Our care pillows are available for folks who have had surgery and would like some extra “love” to get them through their recuperation. Pillows are available at the back of the Sanctuary, or ask an Usher to point out the ladies that can get you more pillows.
If you are a hospital, recovery center, etc. please call the church office and leave a message for Carol Wixson, or contact Carol at UMW@FirstUMCLombard.org.
She will get back to you and supply you with additional pillows.
Please consider donating to the UMW so we can purchase stuffing and fleece. Thank you for your help and support!